As there are so many bars to choose from, our recommendation is to take a zone-by-zone approach: choose an area of town and explore. You wont be disappointed…Read our Barcelona best bars guide…
Although slightly more in tune with Northern Europe than the rest of Spain, Barcelona nightlife still happens pretty late. Dinner begins at 9 pm, so don’t expect the bar scene to pick up till near midnight. Barcelona city centre is full of bars and restaurants packed with locals and out-of-towners at weekends. You’ll find thousands of bars full of locals and tourists alike in areas like El Raval, El Born and Plaza Reial.
Barcelona best bars and nightlife
The following guide is written and updated by our nightlife guides. A rum old squad of barflies, wine-moppers and Barcelona bevvy nutters, but nice with it… They eschew establishment customs and habits like holding down nice safe normal office-jobs, and instead prefer to stagger drunkenly through Barcelona’s quaint and bohemian medieval districts. They can be seen bleary-eyed at all hours, chasing the green dragon through 14th century arches and Gaudi inspired metal grills. Their full story may never be told, but this in some way, documents their decline …
El Born (Metro: Liceu, Drassanes or Jaume I).
No doubt, in the Born area Barcelona nightscene reaches its peak. El Born is home to Picasso‟s art, the stunning Santa Maria del Mar church and some seriously good nightlife. Head to Passeig del Borne, which is where all the action is centred.
Lying at the heart of this beautiful city is the Gothic Quarter where you can walk down the famous La Rambla. In amongst the 2000 year old history you will find tiny meandering streets packed full of shops, bars and restaurants. A great place to explore!
Book bar crawls and all nightlife options here
El Raval (Metro: Liceu or Sant Antoni).
Raval has a colourful reputation that it certainly lives up to. Do’t let its “red light‟ reputation put you off a visit as it is teaming with super-cool bars and restaurants, trendy little boutiques and also the fantastic MACBA contemporary art gallery.
Barceloneta & Port Olimpic: (Metro:Barceloneta or Ciutadella-Vila Olimpica).
Barceloneta is the place to go for amazing seafood and drinks at one of the many summertime chiringitos – bars on the beach! Walk up the coastline and you‟ll come to Port Olimpic which is a great place for dinner. Make sure you hang around though, because from midnight onwards this place is packed with party-goers just like you.
The Best Bars in Barcelona
- La Champaneria (C/Reina Cristina 7, Barceloneta) Like cava? Then this place is a must. Crammed full of people as soon as it opens, it is popular with locals and tourists alike; and the reason for this: a glass of cava for less than a euro! Also if you‟re peckish you can order from their menu of delicious meats and cheeses.
- Diobar (Av. Marques de L’Argentera 27, El Borne) Hidden underneath a Greek restaurant this bar is a little-known place with fantastic music to dance to and a really friendly atmosphere.
- Margarita Blue (C/Josep Anselm Clave 6, Gotico) If you‟re a fan of cocktails and Mexican food then head to Margerita Blue. They have a ridiculously long drinks menu and if you‟re lucky you‟ll be there on one of the nights with live music too!
- Dos Trece (C/Carme 40, Raval) One of the many great bars on Carrer Carme, this is brilliant for night time drinks but also has a very chilled atmosphere during the day if you‟re looking for somewhere calm to nurse your hangover!
- Sifo (C/Espalter 4, Raval) Tucked away behind Rambla de Raval this bar also has a great party atmosphere and out the back a place to dance as well!
- Shoko (P/Maritim 36, Port Olimpic) Located right on the beach front this is an amazing place to go for lunch time drinking as they have sofas and table with a sea view. At night, the bar turns into a club for those of you that want to dance into the small hours.
Sports and Irish bars
The best place to catch a game of British football or rugby internationals. These places have big screens, the Guinness and Murphy‟s, the chicken wings etc. Also a good source of English-speaking barmaids and barmen! Here are the pick of them:
- The George Payne: (Plaza Urquinaona, 5 – near Plaza Catlunya). Great big pub with a large theatre-style room for footie action!
- Ryans: (Carrer del Judici, 15). This is in the area known as Barceloneta – near the Port and the beach, a great and atmospheric part of town, and a great pub.
- Temple Bar: (Carrer Ferran, 6). Very central at the Ramblas, near Plaza Reial.
- Turkey Tavern (Carrer Hospital, 2) On the Raval side of Ramblas, again very central.
- Flahertys: (Plaça de Joaquim Xirau) Tucked away on a Plaza near the Ramblas, so again very central.
Guide to Barcelona’s Best Clubbing and Late Night Bars
- Pipa Club (Pl/Reial 3, Gothic Quarter) Definitely one of the the Barcelona best bars . You need to know about this place as you have to ring a buzzer to get in. Decorated in Sherlock Holmes-style décor, it’s a laid back pub during the day and cool bar at night that is open until 3am, sometimes later!
- Sidecar (Pl/Reial 7, Gothic Quarter) A very popular Rock and Indie club that always has a great line-up of DJ‟s and live music on a regular basis. Also, the admission price includes a drink! Open until 5am.
- Catwalk (C/Ramon Trias Fargas, Port Olimpic) Get your glad rags on for this place – it’s one of Barcelona best bars ! Always full to the rafters on a Friday and Saturday night, this club plays all kinds of house music and also R&B and Hip Hop in its upstairs room. Open until 6am.
- Carpe Diem Lounge Bar (P/Maritim 32, Port Olympic) A place to see and be seen, this club is always crammed with beautiful people and more often than not a Barca football player. More a great ckub than one of Barcelona Best Bars – drinks are expensive but most think the prices are worth it to lounge on the beds dotted around the dance floor or the beachfront terrace. Open until 3am.
- Another similar place to try is Opium Mar, located just next door at number 34. Worth a try if CDLC has a long queue!
- Sala Apolo (C/Nou de la Rambla 111-113, Raval) This is one of Barcelona‟s most popular clubs where everyone is welcome. Located in a 1940‟s dancehall the place is big and always has a fun atmosphere. Open until 6am.
- Moog (C/Arc del Teatre 3, Raval) Barcelona best bars in Raval ! This has music for more than one taste! There are two floors, with pop and 1980‟s upstairs and hard house and techno downstairs. Open until 6am.
How can I book or find out more?