Tips for a great weekend in Lisbon
For a stag do Lisbon is cool, very cool. For the hens too. Your ladies or lads will be well impressed with what this city has to offer once they get here, but let us make it easy for you to tell them in advance with our tips for a weekend in Lisbon.
Let us give you a few selling points to make sure you get everyone on board for Lisbon. For stag do Lisbon ideas, and hen weekend caipirinha capers, check our simple list of great Lisbon features…
With a population of some 2.7 million Lisbon is one of the oldest cities in Europe. Central Lisbon looks out from the north bank of the River Tagus Estuary, a majestic setting and the city is charming with red terra-cotta tiled roofs, purple jacaranda trees and glorious tiled walls.
About Lisbon- a streetcar named…ON FIRE!
Even with the low cultural expectations of a weekend in Lisbon, the city will bowl you over. There are enough monuments and historic sites here to put Barcelona (or London) to shame.
- Full of character with old trams rumbling around its hilly streets at all hours, Lisboetas also know how to get off the tram and paaaaarty.
- Average costs are lower than most European capitals (especially local beers and wines, cocktails, meals and taxi). A great meal will set you back less than €20.
- Summer and Spring: great beaches – very accessible from the city and wonderful boat trips are available.
- People speak good English in general (compared with its neighbour Spain say)
- The weather is great – Lisbon basks in more sunlight than any other capital in Europe, has the highest winter temperatures and is not uncomfortable hot in summer.
The Local Lisbon Flavour – what to try, what to see, what is unique
- For food you’ll fins wonderful fish, cheese and seafood (and also croquettes and some killer custard tarts)
- Caipirinha cocktails with lime and cachasa liqueur from sugar cane (former colony Brazil has a big influence in Portugal)
- Ginjinha (a truly wicked cherry-based liqueur that has its own dedicated outlets all over the city in case you’re simply dying for a tipple of the hard stuff… )
- Great beers bottled and on draught: Super Bock and Sagres beers.
- Wonderful, under-rated wine: this is not only not only Mateus Rosé! There are wonderful Port wines (Porto is one of the world’s oldest wine production regions).
- Other excellent Portuguese wine appellations: Dao, Alentejo, Vinho verde and Albarinho.
- Lisbon is football crazy: you must see Benfica, Sporting Lisbon or Belenenses – all have large stadiums full of passion and atmosphere.
- Wonderful old Mercedes taxis – never underestimate the vale of the quick, cheap bump in the back of a Lisbon cab – ride on time big girl, to negotiate Lisbon’s insanely hilly central streets…
- The sea and the Lisbon estuary – majestic views, great cruises and charters, and great beaches
- The sheer character and charm of the old streets of Lisbon, Lisbon Castle, and the viewing points all over the city (there is usually beer available to enhance the view further)
- The nightlife of Cais do Sodre and Bairro Alto – seedy, saucy and superb
- Great clubbing and a party-all-night spirit at Praça do Comercio, Cais do Sodre, Docas and Alcantara.
- The seafood is excellent but roast chicken and grilled meat are also very good
- Grab a snack: brilliant Pork sandwiches (bifana) and croquettes are all over !
- Very good food and drinks from other countries of Portuguese influence (Brazil, Goa, Mozambique, Angola to name but a few)
- To sample beers from all over the “Portuguese world” try the beer museum at the main square near the shore at Praça do Comercio.
Top hen and stag do Lisbon activities
- Rent a boat with drinks and a DJ and have your own party or booze cruise on deck !
- Tour the bars of Bairro Alto – the word’s best bar crawl ?
- Get around the hilly streets by Tuk-tuk, or e-buggy – you must see some of Lisbon’s nooks and crannies.
- Explore the shore on a Beer Bike or take a surfing lesson!
- Hear the soulful, sad, romantic Fado music at a Fado show in the Old Town with a glass of wine (or caipirinha!)
- Sample the great wines of Portugal with a Portuguese wine tasting evening: you’ll be surprised.
- Check out a miradouro or city viewing point: see the fantastic views of Old Lisbon, take a photo, …oh and there will always be a chance for a Superbock or two while you’re there.
Where to go out for a weekend in Lisbon – you wont be stuck for a big night
- You will love the bars of the “Bairro Alto” (“up the hill – everyone goes there and everyone fills its streets with joy at night” – you may love it so much you may never want to leave this area of pub crawl heaven…
- Clubbing and bars at Cais do Sodre (just down the hill from Bairro Alto)
- Clubs of Alcantara/Santos are (short walk from Cais do Sodre)
Tips on getting around your weekend in Lisbon
- Hens: do not even consider high heels (beware cobbled hilly streets and pavements!)
- Good news however: Lisbon cabs are cheap
How can I book or find out more?