Lisbon Tips for Stags and Hens
About Lisbon – the happening city for your stag or hen do!
- Population 2.7 million (greater Lisbon). One of the oldest cities in Europe.
- Central Lisbon looks out from the North Bank of the River Tagus Estuary, a majestic setting and the city is charming with red terra-cotta tiled roofs, purple jacaranda trees and glorious tiled walls.
- There are enough monuments and historic sites here to put Barcelona to shame. Full of character with old trams rumbling by at all hours, and Lisboetas know how to party.
- Average costs are lower than in Spain say (beer meals, taxis etc).
- Great beaches are very accessible and
- People speak a very good level of English in general (compared with Spain say)
- Weather is great – most sunlight of any capital in Europe and highest winter temperatures and not too hot in summer.
What is special about a weekend in Lisbon – Lisbon Tips for Stags and Hens
- Lisbon is football crazy: must-see Benfica tickets, watch Sporting Lisbon or Belenenses
- The sea and the Lisbon estuary – majestic views and great beaches nearby
- The trams !
- The character of the old streets of Lisbon, the castle and the viewing points all over the city
- The nightlife of Cais do Sodre and Bairro Alto
- Great clubbing and party-all-night spirit
- Great prices for drinks and food
- The seafood is excellent but roast chicken and grilled meat also very good
- Grab a snack: brilliant Pork sandwiches (bifana) and croquettes are all over !
- Very good food and drinks from other countries of Portuguese influence (Brasil, Goa, Mozambique, Angola to name but a few)
- To sample beers from all over the “Portuguese world” try the beer museum at the main square near the shore at Praça do Comercio. More Lisbon Tips for Stags and Hens.
The Local Flavour – what to try, what to see, what to taste
Lisbon epitomises the Portuguese cuisines which draws from countries around the world such as Brazil, Goa and Mozambique. Culinary and cultural Lisbon tips for Stags and Hens:
- Wonderful fish, cheese and seafood (and also croquettes and some killer custard tarts)
- Caipirinha cocktails with lime and cachasa liqueur from sugar cane (former colony Brazil has a big influence in Portugl)
- Ginjinha (a wicked cherry-based liqueur)
- Super Bock and Sagres beers.
- Wonderful, under-rated wine: not only Mateus Rosé! There wonderful Port wines (Porta is one of the world’s oldest wine production regions). Other excellent appellations: Dao, Alentejo,
- Vinho verde and Albarinho.
Top Activities – Lisbon tips for Stags and Hens
Where to go out in Lisbon
- You will love the bars of the “Bairro Alto” (“up the hill – everyone goes there and everyone fills its streets with joy at night” – you may love it so much you may never want to leave this area of pub crawl heaven…
- Clubbing and bars at Cais do Sodre (just down the hill from Bairro Alto)
- Clubs of Alcantara/Santos are (short walk from Cais do Sodre)
Getting around Lisbon
- Hens: do not even consider high heels (all cobbled hilly streets!)
- Cabs are cheap and for out of centre use the ultra modern Metro.
- For getting down to beaches such at Cascais and Estoril use the railway station at Cais do Sodre
How can I book or find out more?